Under Gel Water Slider Tutorial

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]

Hey all! Many of you asked and I listened. All of you liked the last gel "water" slider card I made so much I thought I would make another with the adorable Sea Set from Rubbernecker Stamps and take photos this time.



I was thinking of making a video but there is so much to it... if I took you all the way through the process on a video you may kill me haha! Or maybe I shouldn't say there is so much to it. It was just when I made it I wasn't really sure where I was going with it. I was back and forth a LOT between different things which probably would have made it confusing, had I put it on a video. Plus I was working with some scraps, so that would have been bad probably as well haha!



I also added a couple of things in my tutorial in case anyone is new to stamping. I made a little scene with the ship wreckage by masking. So I thought I would put that in as well. For those of you who know how to do it, I am sure you won't mind just skipping it.

So are you ready? I would take a seat that is for sure.












































Okay first things first! I started out by getting my images colored, and my card base ready.

The blue is 5.5 x 4.25 folded in half and the white is 5.25 x 4. It has been adhered with my basic atg gun.






To make the ship wreckage scene, I used the technique of masking. Again, I just put this here for those who have not done it before, or if anyone wants to know how I do it.

There is a "masking paper" out there in the world someplace. However, I still do it the old school way and just use the sticky end of the post-it note.

I stamped the image on my paper, then I stamped the image on the sticky end of the post-it note. I cut it out right on top of the stamped line to make sure I get it as close as possible as the one I will be using on my card.

Then I place the post-it note images over the top of the stamped cardstock images. I can then stamp another image like the ship over the rocks in the photo.

I can also go further, and create a post-it note mask for the ship as well. After doing this I stamped down the seaweed and the coral.

when I am all done with how I want things to look I remove the post-it notes and color.


This is the part where I said I had to use scraps. Everyone was commenting about how the water looked so real. I tried my best to get a good photo, but yeah. This is blue Mylar paper from Michaels. I linked it here but you can also find the link in my supplies below.

I just had a very thin piece left so I had to cut it in half and fit it on the top of the fish patterned paper. I just put some tape adhesive at the top and bottom of the fish paper. When you have a full piece I would go around the outer edges with the adhesive.


After I got the Mylar paper attached with the adhesive tape, I ran it through my Crossover II with the Slider die cuts from Rubbernecker Stamps. I like these ones the best because they are wider and the slider pieces you can get from Rubbernecker Stamps or even just using the 3D foam doesn't get stuck.

I wanted the submarine to go at a bit of an angle so I used this slider out of all of them. I just put it right through the middle of the paper.

Now I would normally cut 2 of these slider pieces from the Mylar paper and you will see why later. However, I didn't have enough this time. So save what you cut out and save it


After cutting the slider piece out, I have attached the fish and other pieces that will be going on the card background "in the water" except for the part that is going to move.

I place the water background on the main part of the card to see where it will all sit. This is where the extra slider cut out pieces come into play.

I put the water piece on the card to see where I need to adhere the cut-out piece so when you move your submarine it will still show water behind it as it moves.

If I had 2 of these pieces I would also put one on the slider pull handle so you wouldn't see any white at all. Sadly, I didn't have enough paper to do this.

Once you adhere that extra cut out down remove your "water" background to place your pull slider bar and your submarine.






Okay your slider pull bar, or whatever they are called haha! I don't use a lot of the technical names well. I like thingamajig a LOT! haha!

You do not have to do this, I do this because I don't like my pull bar wiggling all over the place. I will lay down my pull bar where I want it to go and then I will place some 3D foam squares along the sides so it isn't just willy nilly everywhere.

After that I place 2 circles on the end to make the pull "handle" on the slider. as it shows in the photos.




There is also an amazing circle die cut that comes with slider die cuts from Rubbernecker Stamps. They have the perfect chipboard they sell in the Expo booth for now - but hopefully it will be online soon. It is absolutely the perfect thickness and weight for slider cards without that heavy penny.

I would normally use a Rubbernecker Slider thingy (yes that is actually the technical name they gave it haha!) but, it was a little to thick for what I wanted to do with the gel and wouldn't be able to move because it would stand to high. So 3D foam dot it is!

I adhered the submarine to the chipboard with just my ATG tape gun.

After I got everything put on correctly I adhered the bottom dot with a 3D foam piece to the submarine through the hole, then used the ATG tape gun again to adhere the pull slider bar onto the chipboard circle.




Some of you may recall in a previous post that I spoke of my "jug o' gel" that my hubby came home with for me. Well this is it! haha!

Just get a sandwich bag and put a bit of gel in it. I am using clear, some people like to use blue.

Do your best to squish out any air bubbles (sadly I missed a couple). Then seal up the sandwich bag.

After it is sealed up. I will normally try to move the gel around in the bag and shape it along the sides so all the gel will only be on the top of the card.




After you get the gel where you want it. I always cut off the upper flap? I guess it is called. It is the part where you pull the baggie open. Doing this makes it easier to fold over.

Lay your card background (the part going under the "water") on the top of the baggie upside down. Run strong double sided tape along all the edges of the baggie. Fold the edges of the baggie over adhering it to the card and the corners of the baggie to itself.

When you are done - flip it over and make sure everything is going as planned.

You can see in this photo of the pull bar out the water looks as one with that extra bit of the Mylar paper I put on in the beginning. When it slides back in it will show the white of the bar.

You can also see that I cut a little of my bar off to make it slide down properly. When you cut things you can always make adjustments if they are too large.


To finish off the card I used 3D foam squares to attach it to the card base.

I also added blue cardstock I cut out with the Waves die cut from Rubbernecker stamps.

The sentiment is from the Sea stamp set as well.



The Copic Markers I used are:




Submarine: Y13, 15, 17, 18, YR12, 14, 16, 17, 18, C1, 3, BG000




Bear: E23, 13, 15, YG00, 01, 03, YR12, 16, C1, 3




Seaweed: YG03




Rocks: YG91, 93




Coral: R20, 22




Boat: E17, 18, 23




Angel Fish: Y11, 13




Fish: YR12, 16




Water: BG02



 

I really hope you enjoyed my post with the tutorial today. I enjoyed this card and making this post :) If you do make anything with either of these stamps or anything from Rubbernecker Stamps please feel free to share them with me on my facebook page, the new Rubbernecker Stamps Fan Group on Facebook or the Rubbernecker Facebook page!

Until next time friends!!!



Don’t forget to follow me on InstagramTwitterPinterest, and if you want to connect with me, even more, come see my facebook page!




[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Comments

  1. What a great tutorial! The card is super cute

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your kind comments!