Shake it up & Java Nice Day - La-La Land Crafts

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Hey all! Today we are going to shake it up with the really fun stamp set Java Nice Day from La-La Land Crafts. Also, I have a tutorial for you. I have had a couple of people ask me how I did the layers for some of my cards so I thought I would show you.

This took me a couple of days to figure out exactly how I wanted to do this and how I was going to make it work. I knew that I wanted a card that was 3.5 x 7 I just didn't know how I was going to make it all fit. Then, some good music came on and my ideas just started coming. Good music always seems to help my creative process.



I think the biggest thing I was worried about this card was that the coffee cups would look like a pair of eyes haha! The first thing I did to get ready to make this card was to color the images, in this case, the coffee cups.



The first thing I did was to emboss them in some really pretty greenish turquoise embossing powder.  Then I colored them with some Peacock Feathers Distress Oxide ink. After that, I used the So Many Dots Layered Stencils along with some Gathered Twigs Distress Oxide Ink to make the polka dots. The last thing I did to the image was colored with Copics.

I know we have heard all the time use Copic markers first or you will ruin your nibs. I have only tried this with the Distress Oxide Ink, but it has not done anything to my nibs, so far. I colored the coffee cups and I did the shading around the outside of the rim of the cups. I shaded the outside of the cups so that hopefully they would be able to be distinguished between the saucers.



Now onto the layers!



Okay, first things first! You need your base layers.




    • White cardstock (7 x 7) folded in half to create a 7 x 3.5 card base.

      • Set it aside.







The next two layers are your layers 1 and 2.




    • Layer 1 I used a brown (6 7/8" x 3 3/8")

    • Layer 2 I used teal (6 3/4" x 3 1/4")

    • Adhere these two layers together.





Next in this photo is your patterned paper. I made my own using the same color of Distress Oxide ink and stencil I used on the cups.




    • Cut out the patterned paper of your choice with the largest Scalloped Rectangle die cut from La-La Land Crafts.

    • Cut the rectangle in half and adhere to the card as seen in the photo.





No one will see the middle so why waste :)




















































The next thing is the ribbon! Measure yours out to fit over the card.

Yes, I stuck mine right through my Xyron Creative Lite and made it into a sticker. Sometimes adhering ribbon can be a bit challenging.

If you do this as well just be sure to burnish the heck out of it so you don't get adhesive stragglers.

You may be able to see the adhesive on the back of that.

Then go ahead and stick it on and adhere around the back. You will notice that I also cut that to only fit the front and a little around the back. Again, I don't like to waste.


 
The next layer is from the same brown paper I used for layer 1. This time I used the second largest die cut from Nested Frames Large from La-La Land Crafts.

After it is cut out, cut it in half and adhere with 3d foam squares or dots. You will want to place them at the outer edge of the scalloped rectangle you already placed down on your card. as shown in the photo.




Cut out 2 of the Mandala Doily Die Cuts from the two cardstock choices you placed down for layer 1 and layer 2.

Cut the two doilies in half

Places them on the back side of layer 1 as the next two photos show.


 
The next layer is from White cardstock so you can see the items you put inside of your shaker.

I cut out the largest Pierced Scalloped Oval die cut from La-La Land Crafts.

Adhere this to the center of the card using 3d foam squares or dots. I placed 2 high 3d foam squares in the center to make up the difference of the layers I have already placed. I do this also so that it won't sag in the center.


Now for the fun part....

I used 2 different circle die cuts and 3d foam sheets to make these foam circles for the shakers. I have also heard that just using the crafting foam (what you make little kids masks and little animal crafts from) works fantastically and your shaker items don't stick to the sides like adhesive foam tape and squares. However, I have a lot of adhesive foam sheets to get through.

I made these 5 layers high only to compensate for the fact that I am using coffee beans. using sequins and smaller items do not have to be so many layers. It is rather tough to get them to line up perfectly sometimes.

You also need to use the biggest circle to cut out 2 circles from acetate sheets.
As you can see I have them stuck down on the white pierced scalloped oval. I had to cut one of them to make sure they both fit properly and how I wanted them to. If you need to do this just make sure you have no open spaces for any of your little shaker items to pull a break out on you while shaking.
Okay now for the yummy smelling coffee beans!!! ugh so good! Your card will smell dreamy for at least a month or two with coffee beans in them. Especially if you get a dark roast.


I had already placed one acetate sheet on the left-sided shaker circle. But for the right side, I had to cut it down a tad so it wouldn't stick out from under the left sides cup.

I used the paper from the part I cut off from the right side to cut the acetate down properly.

After the acetate was in place over both shakers it was time for the cups.

 


You guessed it! Both cups were fussy cut-out. I used a hobby knife to cut the centers out.

Then through the Xyron Creative Lite they went! I LOVE this little machine! Can't even tell you how much.

After you burnish those both so you get no adhesive stragglers or webs, place on the top of each shaker.

Place the right one down first and then the left side.
I added some flowers to hide my botched job of trying to get those foam layers to line up properly.


The last things I added were the dew drops and the sentiment.

The sentiment I used Java Nice Day from the Java Nice Day stamp set from La-La Land Crafts. I stamped it in Gathered Twigs Distress Oxide Ink. I then cut it out using the Long Flags die cut from La-La Land Crafts.

I did cut the flag down so that it would fit just how I wanted.

I wanted to make sure it was even on the card so where the sentiment was going to hit a layer I just placed some adhesive, then I placed 2 3d foam squares where it was going to be on lower layers of the card.


And that is it in a nutshell. I really hope this was descriptive even for you. Sorry, I don't have a video. I honestly am not that good at them when making cards unless I have actually made the card first. For some reason, I have that "oh dang I should have done a video" 3 days after the card has been completed haha! But at least this time I thought of taking photos as my creation came to life.

The Copic markers I used are:

Coffee Cups: BG45, 48, T0, 2, 3 (yup that is seriously all I used)

My supply list is at the bottom... and where I get my Copic markers is in my sidebar :)

I hope you enjoyed my post today. Don’t forget to go and see the rest of the team's creations over at the LaLa Land Crafts Blog. Don't forget you can also find great inspiration over at the LaLa Land Crafts Facebook Group and on Instagram as well. Until next time friends!!!



Don’t forget to follow me on InstagramTwitterPinterest, and if you want to connect with me, even more, come see my facebook page!




[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Comments