Memento Mori - Aurora Wings Challenge

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Hey all! My favorite holiday is getting close... and so it is time for the Aurora Wings "Once upon a dream or nightmare" challenge. Now...I know a lot of people don't really like Halloween anymore, if they ever did. I am more the cute, fun, low key kind of Halloween but none the less it is my favorite. I think for the most part it is my favorite because... well I was born 10 days before and second it was the one holiday I could escape the torment of school bullies and be a princess, smurf or anything else I wanted to be instead of ME... It wasn't about all the scary stuff, or anything like that... it was my one day of escape.

I also love coloring! It is my time to relax and color some of my favorite things. While skulls are not always my favorite, Mitzi (the artist of Aurora Wings for those who don't know) does an amazing job of making them look cool. Just like with this image Memento Mori she has it sitting in the middle of wonderful poppies. I have seen this image colored before with regular poppies, the red ones. However since the theme is for Halloween I went with the orangish, yellow California poppies.



I actually asked Meadow's advise on this one. I loved how the poppies and the skull came out, but I didn't want to ruin it with a bit of green. Although, I thought it would look great with the green for something else, but I wanted to keep with the Halloween theme. Since I was going with a skull I felt even with the flowers I would be leaning more toward the nightmare end of the challenge haha! Or maybe that is because I watch to much CSI and Criminal Minds haha! So, Meadow, myself and my friend Angela all decided it was a go for the black and white with some orange. Plus we all remembered how I did the other challenge with the roses (Click Here if you missed it) and we all still love that card.



Before I decided to go black and white I did mess up one of the poppy flower buds... but it seemed to fit in just fine so I left it. I did put a little bit of a drop shadow and a bit of a gray background with a W00 and W0 ... it helped with all the times I went out of the lines on the stems. I printed the image out at 3.5 inches high so everything was rather small. I wanted it this way so that it would fit on the card. But, I still ended up cutting some of it off when I put it through the Rubbernecker Stamps Nested Oval Die Cuts. I even used the largest one that would fit with the Spellbinders Frame that I have.



I had some ribbon that I never even opened last year. It is a lot of fun! It has black and orange stripes but the black ones are glittery. How can you resist that kind of ribbon. It also is wired so it will stay in place. The little rhinestone jewels I got at Michael's several years ago in a $1 Halloween bin, that came in handy because I purchased the WHOLE bin full HAHA! I will always have orange, black, purple and green rhinestones for Halloween probably haha!



Here are the Copic markers I used:


  • Flowers: Y18, E19, YR18, 15

  • Everything else: W00, 0, 1, 2, 4, 5, 7



Pretty easy list this time :)

Please be sure to check out the challenge and the current happenings over at Aurora Wings Challenge Blog! You can also see what the other team members made over there too!  You don't want to miss out on anything! Their projects are so beautiful!

If you do make anything with this stamp or anything from Aurora Wings please feel free to share them with me on my facebook page or Aurora Wings Facebook Group! You would not believe the inspiration in the group! Please if you are not already in that group go and join! you are missing out for sure by not being in it!

Until next time friends!!!



Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, TwitterPinterest, and if you want to connect with me even more come see my facebook page!


[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Comments

  1. Oh, I just love this, Cristena! The limited color palette is so striking and perfect for Halloween. The orange just pops and the delicate framing against the harlequin pattern is stunning. That gorgeous ribbon is a faboolous find and the gems finish it off perfectly. Amazing work! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I just love your creations and I think you did fab on this one to. It was the right call not to color any greens.... this is just perfect. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Donna! It always makes me smile when you comment as I value each one since I admire your work so much. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how vibrant and stark this came out, Cristena! The orange of the poppy petals is just marvelous - great limited palette work. The checker pattern in black and white really adds a lot of style to this elegant card. Thank you so much for this stunning inspiration for today's new challenge at Aurora Wings. Mitzi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Mitzi! You really don't know what it means to me that you enjoy something of yours that I have colored xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Mitzi! You really have no idea how much I enjoy your comments and they brighten my day that you like something of yours that I have colored and created a card with. xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your kind comments!